updated as of August 6, 2019
- Dulles Youth Sports provides opportunities for kids to wrestle throughout the year
- The winter season is the main part of the program
- The spring season involves advanced folkstyle competitions as well as freestyle and greco roman
- The summer season involves summer camps, clinics, and tournaments
- The fall season is typically the pre-season where kids prepare in advance of the main winter season
Winter Season 2019-2020
- DYS expects to be structured using a skills competency model similar to other sports for "House, All-Stars Intense, Travel"
- DYS anticipates having roughly 4-5 groups each containing 25-35 kids
- Four/Five groups will be aligned with the "House" program where kids do the following
- practice 2-times per week (at either Champe, Freedom, Independence, or Rock Ridge High Schools) in the evenings
- optional practice on a 3rd night
- compete on Sundays in the NVWF throughout the Loudoun, Fairfax, Prince William, Fauquier, Culpeper, and King George counties
- compete in an NVWF season-end-finale the last weekend in February
- compete in the skill appropriate Dulles Duals as a team
- wrestlers may compete in their own age division plus "bump-up" to compete in the next higher age division in the NVWF. In other words, those that exhibit higher levels of skill or athletic abiliites may compete in two age divisions to challenge themselves (this is highly encouraged)
- The last group is a "All-Star Intense" team comprised of wrestlers that practice together three times per week, and compete in the surrounding multi-state area. Practices and competitions are as follows:
- a 3rd day of practice is available with other local clubs as a joint practice to give diversity of partners
- additional practices may be made available with other surrounding clubs on occasion
- wrestlers compete in VAWA States the last weekend of February
- Kids may not compete in multiple programs simultaneously (House or All-Star-Intense)
- Once a wrestler says he or she is competing in one of those groups, they are obligated to attend the events because parents and clubs have volunteer duties to fill based on the number of kids registered to compete
How kids are assigned to winter groups and competitions
- all kids register using the same registration link to get into the DYS program
- all kids will be assumed to wrestling in the NVWF unless both parents and coaches agree to enter the travel program
- all kids will be assigned a practice room mostly based on age, however, if a child is exceptionally heavy or light for their age group then arrangements may be made to move them up or down an age group so to ensure practice partners are available for them
- kids are typically assigned to an "NVWF AGE DIVISION" which is based on a range of birth dates between 18 and 24 months. The age division is determined after Thanksgiving when NVWF registrants are filed and counted. For example, the Senior age group are for kids born between January 1, 2005 and June 30, 2007.
- parents with siblings may some times be able to place them in the same age division for practice room purposes upon approvals by the coaches so to ease logistics for families so they are not in a wrestling room 4 days per week.
- kids in grades 5-8 that exhibit higher skill levels or athletic abilities may participate in the travel program upon agreement by both the parent and the coaches mutually. Kids may also participate in two age divisions at NVWF competitions to be challenged which is encouraged for those that exhibit higher skill or athletic abilities
Northern Virginia Wrestling Federation (NVWF)
- NVWF is comprised of 30-plus clubs in the northern VA area with 2000 wrestlers
- Information is online ~ Click Here
- NVVWF is an individual style tournament where kids are grouped according to age, weight, and experience
- Overview of NVVW ~ Click Here
Mason Dixon Wrestling League (MDWL)
- MDWL participation is pending decisions by coaches as of July 2019
- MDWL competes on Sundays in January and February between Front Royal and beyond Winchester along the route 81 corridor. Additional clubs have joined from the eastern Loudoun county and western Fairfax regions. This league is for our more experienced wrestlers only.
- DYS competes in select duals for elementary and middle schools periodically throughout the season. Duals are structured with a set of roughly 10-12 roster slots whereby kids compete against other teams for team points.
- DYS wrestlers also may enter "open" individual style tournaments in PA, VA, MD, DE, NJ and VA areas.
- Sources are online ~ Click Here